Like a Needle in a Haystack


If you're browsing your readers and looking for dinner ideas or something that will rock your foodie world move on quickly. I say quickly...!!!! This is not the post for you. What is for you, or perhaps for me, is a jaunt down memory lane through my childhood. The ever industrious Ben of What's Cooking -US has a monthly event Food for Plastic. I can only imagine what wonderful foods conger up memories from his childhood growing up with a family who owned a Mexican restaurant. Ben also sells Tupperware and this month Tupperware will be donating some of the profits from its sales to the Boys & Girls Clubs.
As soon as I read this months challenge was Food for Kids I immediately thought of Haystacks. It is not a prizewinning recipe or even anything with a culinary challenge, but, it is what immediately comes to mind when I think of my childhood. I remember my moms flaky cherry pie crusts, my dads homemade bread slathered in peanut butter, potato fritters, Yorkshire Pudding and dipping in the pool after eating mountains of corn on the cob. But even after all that Haystacks still came back as the one food I associate with my childhood.

In our pantry there was always cocoa, oats and coconut, so, if ever we were craving something sweet , with very little preparation and (what mom loved the most) very little mess, this was always what we crowded around the stove to prepare. Usually my sister and I would take turns melting the butter and cocoa in a big pot. My brothers were outside torturing the neighbourhood cats or cruising the streets in their go carts. When we were very little stirring in the oats and coconut was a job for mom. There would always be 2 spoons so each of us would be able to have a lick as well. Perhaps a part of the joy was taking turns around the stove and accomplishing something together. Oh happy days!!!!!!

The tradition was passed along to my own daughter whose little face I remember covered in chocolate. My daughter is not a huge fan of sweets, so, we didn't make it as often as we did when I was a kid. We were more likely to make fruit Popsicles.

So if your looking for something for a snack that is as uncomplicated as life should be or even something to make with the kids... then move on over to the haystack!!

**Haystacks**

1- 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups rolled, quick cooking oats
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup nuts, chopped
**************
In medium saucepan combine sugar, butter, milk and cocoa.Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to full boil; remove from heat.Stir in remaining ingredients.Immediately drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto wax paper.Cool completely.Store in cool, dry place.