A Hint of Summer with Spicy Coleslaw & an Award

Why is it that once we have what we want we just want more? I suppose it is human nature to always strive for better, tastier, bigger... Now that we have beautiful Spring weather I am longing for the warm, lazy days of summer. Hurry! Hurry!I think the main reason I am unsatisfied is that I can't wait for the farmers market to open and the myriad of fruits and vegetables to start gracing my table. Here in the valley, unlike some of you lucky ducks, the farmer's market does not open until April. I have already flashed up the BBQ and have moved on over to lighter fare....where's my veggies??

This coleslaw is the quintessential BBQ food... and will just have to do...so easy peasy any old time!!

**Spicy Coleslaw**

6 cups shredded cabbage
1 small onion, grated
1 carrot, peeled and grated
1 T minced parsley
¼ cup vegetable oil
3 T cider vinegar
¼ cup salad dressing (Miracle Whip or mayonnaise, your call)
1 T sugar
¼ tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp celery seed (if desired)
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

***********************
Toss cabbage, onion, carrot and parsley until well mixed. In a small bowl mix the oil, vinegar, mayonnaise, sugar and seasonings. Stir to mix well. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss gently.

Serves 6

I have been given an award by the ever industrious and "chipotle-loving" Marye of Kettle and Cup , Apron Strings & Simmering Things and Baking Delights (where she has a contest this month to create a new tag line for her blog here ) She also has numerous other blogs as well...I told you she was industrious, she also homeschools her children and is active in her community...I am exhausted just thinking about it!! I have also been given this award by Annie at Annie's Eats . She is a hard working and book-bound medical student in the States. It is always a pleasure to read her blog. You never know what she'll be cooking up lovingly for her hubs and family. I give this award right back to both of you ladies:D The award is given to someone who "Makes Your Day". Now this is a very difficult award to hand out because each and every one of you "make my day" when I visit your blogs. There are far too many to mention...I would be here all day!!! Your sense of humour, delicious recipes and informative posts are what bring me back to blogging each and every day...well almost each and every day. Blogging keeps me from my nemesis...housecleaning...a BIG BONUS!!

If I have to single out one person for this award I am giving it to my Adopted Blogger Neema at Recipe Swap . She "makes my day". We have adopted each other. She is a hard working mom in the Southern States who started her blog, just like many of us, to record her recipes for her friends and family back in India. It has turned into quite the enterprise. I love to see what she is cooking up in her Southern kitchen...usually a fascinating East Indian dish.

Run right over to her blog, you will be glad you did!!